Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Teaching Inference


Make inference anchor poster with scrapbooking paper or wrapping paper. Add ribbon on the bottom  to add pizazz!  TEACHING INFERENCE IS TEACHING HIGHER LEVEL THINKING!
My students had difficulty with inference, so I decided to back up and take baby steps.  Now, they can do it! Teach the students that inferring is taking a guess based on evidence from the book (clues) and their schema (what they already know).  First, I drew a picture of a person smiling and asked them what they infer that means. The clue is the picture. Their schema is what they know.  They know that when people smile they are happy.Thus, they inferred the person was happy. Next, I showed pictures of my family and had students infer about each picture. If I ask students what do you infer?  They answer back stating, "I infer....". Then, I gave situations and had students infer:  I am walking alone in a dark woods.  I infer I would be scared.  A car was speeding down a road. I infer they might get a speeding ticket.  My dog ran away. I infer that I would go and look for the dog.  The baby was crying. I infer the baby is hungry. We bought tickets and popcorn. Then we sat down and waited. I infer that they are at a theater. The man put a hose,  bucket and some soap next to his car. I infer that the man is going to wash his car.
 Next, we viewed a wordless picture book, CHALK, by Bill Thomson and they inferred what might happen next based on the picture clues from the book.  The pictures are amazing. Chalk is one of my favorite books. I used this book with 3rd and 5th graders.

N



I wrote down clues and what students inferred from the book Chalk by Bill Thomson. One of the clues or picture from the book shows kids going to a park and seeing a bag hooked on a play dinosaur. Our schema tells us that kids are curious and would probably look inside the bag.  Thus, I infer that the kids in the story are going to look inside the bag. I also wonder what is in the bag.
When the students are done reading the book, have them write down what they are wondering. My students were wondering if other kids would find the chalk. My students also wondered if they kids would tell their parents.

The following are examples of evidence or  text taken from other books and inferences:
I looked and looked at the trash. Then I did a teeny frown. I infer Junie B. Jones is upset.
Toad woke up. Drat he said. This house is a mess. I infer Toad will clean his house.
No matter how hard we pressed, Dad always found a reason not to get into the water. I infer Dad can't swim or is afraid of the water.

Practice inferring with different picture books. Stop at different points and have students write down what they infer. Make sure they start out saying I infer. Give students assistance by asking them to use their schema.  An example is ; if the character is frowning, what does that mean. If your house is a mess, what do you know that means. Students can practice this also when partner reading by telling their partner what they infer on each page.

No comments:

Post a Comment